Saturday, August 10, 2013

DIY - Converting an adult's top to a kid's dress

Hello, friends of Hazelnutt House!

I was looking through my wardrobe and chiding myself for buying unnecessary clothing items that I end up not wearing.  I came across this owl sleeveless top that I adore... the owl looks bright and cheery but I just haven't gotten down to wearing it.  

So I decided to do some snipperty snip and convert it into a dress for The Kiddo. 

This is not an accurate tutorial coz most of the time I eyeballed the material and just snipped.  No exact measurements taken. 





Step 1: Slim the sides by about 1.5 inches. 


Step 2: Sew along the line and snip with a pinking shears - no need to seal the hem this way.




Instead of taking in the shoulder straps and resulting in a tight armhole, I decided to add elastic to the neckline. 



Step 3: Sew elastic band along the neckline on the 'inner' side.  Make sure to tug the elastic as you are sewing.



Here's how it looks after the elastic is sewn in.  I do not like this finish coz the ruffles tend to flip downwards, revealing the elastic band. 




So, I added this step.

Step 4: Fold in the material, using the elastic band as a guide and sew.





When the side is folded in along the elastic band, it looks like a seam is formed. 



Yups.. this is the end result of the neckline.




The Kiddo is happy with it (",) 







Well, I did not just stop here with this adult-owl-top-conversion-to-kid's-drees ... I converted another clothing item.  Check out my next entry (",) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10